History of the Marin Builders Association
It all began May 1, 1958 when the North Coast Builders Exchange decided it had enough of the civilized life of Marin County and wanted to strike out in the wild frontier of Sonoma County. The North Coast Board of Directors met and agreed to allow the Marin membership segment to form its own Association. The keys to the office at 35 Jordan Street in San Rafael were turned over to the new organization along with its staff of Doug Roberts as Manager and Judith Glodnis as Godmother, disciplinarian and key person of the new group.
The By-Laws for the new organization were soon developed, membership dues were collected and the first Marin Builders Association Annual Meeting was held on June 11, 1958, (with beer and pretzels on the house). The first fifteen directors were elected at that time:
Bob Cook - Cook Plumbing, Eugene Crawford - Architect, Ove Hansen - Painting Contractor, Jack Hemingway - Perimeter Heating, Leo Hopkins - Hopkins Tile Co., Ray I. Johnson - General Contractor, Frank Knolle - Day Electric of Marin, Pete Larkins - Larkins Construction, Eugene Malerbi - Construction Supply, Don Presco - General Contractor, Ed Richmond - R&F Plastering.
Eight days later, the first Board of Directors meeting occurred and the Directors elected Don Presco as President, Ed Richmond as Vice President, and Gene Malerbi as Secretary/Treasurer.
Past Presidents: http://marinba.org/pages/past-presidents
Along with the new officers, the Board created committees to help the company get organized. These included Membership, Finance, Ethics, Labor, Legislative, Insurance and Entertainment. In the years since, the Legislative Committee has become the Builders Association Political Action Committee (BAPAC) and the Insurance Committee is now the Marin Builders Association Insurance Trust. Each has its own financial responsibilities, authority and relationship to the Associations Board of Directors, and ultimately to its members.
Through the years the one aspect of the Marin Builders Association that has not changed is service to its members, service to the public and service to the community-at-large. The Plan Room began as an all-purpose room on Jordan Street with a telephone, adding machine, and a table set up underwritten by the Pacific Coast Title Co.
In 2004, under the Presidency of Klif Knoles, the Board of Directors purchased a building at 660 Las Gallinas Avenue, San Rafael since the building at 110 Belvedere Street, San Rafael had become inadequate for the day to day business requirements and services offered by the MBA. The Association moved into the new facilities on August 20, 2004, and an Open House for the members and special guests was held August 31, 2004.
The building was purchased and extensively remodeled without a dues increase. The membership dues, the lowest of any Builders Exchange or Association in the State of California, were not raised until 2005 for economic reasons. Today we have a state of the art facility with an electronic Online Planroom, wireless computer connections, private booths and project plans for member perusal in the Association’s 7,000 square foot facility.
Klif Knoles was appointed as General Manager replacing David M. Bernardi in August 2005. Klif is a retired General Contractor with over 30 years in the industry. He serves on the County Building Board of Appeals. Klif retired in early 2014.
Rick Wells joined the Marin Builders Association to take over as Chief Executive Officer in 2014. Rick is passionate about projects, building, sustainability and working every day with Marin Builders Association members who build our community. Our history shows that we have come a long way and we look forward to what the future holds for our members and our Association as a whole.